Saturday, January 2, 2010

French/Canadian Ragout

Well, many request for a ragout recipe have led to my post here. Mostly from memory I will resort to "putting it down on paper".
1. Brown flour gently in a dry cast iron pan, to a light golden brown.
2. Brown pork hocks slowly in a dutch oven. I use a mix of olive oil and butter, I am certain that bacon grease may have historically been utilized.
3. Remove pork hocks and make sure there is enough fat to prepare a roux. Add oil if needed. Slowly add flour to oil to form a roux, I use about 1/4 cup of brown flour.
4. Now add beef broth to the roux mixing well to form the gravy. I use approx 1 quart of broth.
5. Once the gravy is made, return pork hocks to gravy and simmer for 3 or 4 hours.
6. Once well cooked, remove hocks to cool.
7. Prepare simple meatballs to your favorite recipe: Eg: ground beef, crumbs, egg and seasonings of choice. Brown in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so.
8. Add meatballs, potatoes, carrots, small onion to gravy.
9. Remove meat from hocks and add to pot.
10. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours until all is cooked.
11. Seasoning: Many variations, I use sea salt, fresh ground pepper, a touch of Worcestershire, a touch of garlic.
12. Serve and enjoy with a good portion of French Bread for dipping.
Using 4 pork hocks and about 10 meatballs from a pound of ground beef, this should serve 6 adults at least.

I am sure that there are many variations out there, so pardon if not exact to your memory from the "good ole days"

1 comment:

  1. If it weren't for all the pork products in this I could totally make a vegetarian version :-)

    ReplyDelete